More on blocking today ~ no rocket science, just basic geometry and common sense.
The project in question is Elektra from 7 Small Shawls to Knit, knitted in Spirit Trail Fiberworks Paivatar in the colorway Lilac. It is a gift for which I wanted to use stashed yarn and the colorway and yardage fit the bill. In a perfect world, I would have gone up at least one needle size because this is a thicker yarn than the pattern suggests. Hindsight proves that I was right not to do so in order to have enough yarn to complete the pattern as written: I had just a few yards of yarn left after binding off.
Because the density was a little firmer than I wanted, I had more “opening up” to achieve while blocking than usual. I wanted to highlight the YOs along the spines that I substituted for the not-decorative written increases alongside the beading I did not do. (Is that a double negative? Let’s try that again.) I did not bead and instead substituted decorative YOs for the increases. Better language.
The shape of Elektra is unique. In essence, the outside is nearly a full circle while the neck edge is four sides of a pentagon. Presented with this shape, the way to block was pretty obvious: wires along the straight interior edges as if there were five knitted sides. Use of the wires here really allowed for nice straight spines to emerge between the sections.
As is my habit, I also inserted a lifeline through the outer points for ease in making them match up while shifting pins around the border.
Poor Elektra has been on the wires for ~ ahem ~ a week now, and she is holding up other finished projects (Hoots!) on the virtual blocking runway. No question that the fiber is entirely dry now 😉 Time to release her and move on.
Funny, but as the weather warms up, my knitting grows more prolific. How “Mary quite contrary” of me …