Although there is far too little knitting time in my full-time working mommy life, I do really enjoy test-knitting. It allows me to test-drive a yarn I have not knitted with before for little commitment. There is no pressure at all to make the right choice for project marriage purposes. When it all works, the model sells yarn or patterns or classes. And once in a while, there is a certain wistfulness that comes with packing up the project and sending it away.
This was the case with my original Hawthorne. The Spirit Trail Fiberworks Lyra knitted like butter and the project was over far too soon. Things around here have been a little complicated lately, and I needed what Luann calls a “Break glass in case of emergency knitting” project. So I grabbed up the leftover yarn, pattern and needles and cast on without having to swatch a stitch. This is good.
While speed was in no way a consideration, I had the knitting completed in a week. One week of decadently smooshy knitting. Ahhhhhhh.
Needles: Signature circs, US 7, Addi Turbo US 8 and US 9
Yarn: Approximately 1 sk of leftover Lyra, colorway Appalachia
Modifications: Knitted from the outer border to the neck edge, I worked the lace on US 7. Four rows from the end of the chart, I bumped up to US 8 and on the last row, US 9. This compensated for my tendency to knit lace loosely yet put the garter stitch at the desired drape. I also added two rows to the top edge out of my greedy desire to use up every last bit.
Blocking tip: After knitting the last row of lace, I inserted a thread lifeline. This allowed me to block the lace portion below the lifeline more aggressively than the garter section, which I pretty much laid out without stretching. Because of the silk and alpaca content (fibers which don’t have natural elasticity), I didn’t want to stretch the garter section.
Project marriage score: 10 ~ no real stretch since the pattern was written specifically for this yarn.
It’s mine. All mine. And I don’t have to share it with anyone.