I’ve wanted for a long time to actually knit with Shelter from BrooklynTweed. It’s my kind of yarn for a certain kind of knitting. It’s ~ sheepy. Some call it a little “crunchy.” I don’t judge wool by its softness. I find that an utterly subjective yardstick that’s rarely relevant in my world: I’m able to wear any kind of wool next to skin.
That said, I’m also stuck in the realm of accessory knitting for the present. Too much happening around this Owl’s nest to dream of executing a garment. And with a lot of my time spent at a construction site, I needed a second really warm hat since I kept misplacing my favorite Rosebud.
It was high time to pull out some Shelter in the colorway Tent (somewhere between the 1st and 2nd photos) and get it on the needles. But which needles? Frankly, I wasn’t going to spend a lot of time swatching for a hat. I did the next best thing: I asked Jane about her experience with Shelter. She indicated that it did relax with a bath, so she suggested that a US 7 needle and I’d be off and running.
I knew the pattern I wanted to make was Leila Raabe’s Bough. Cables and texture for a nice woolly yarn, sure to keep my ears warm. I did
spend some significant time searching the “Helpful notes” on the projects in Ravelry. Several people indicated the hat was very large. I do have a large noggin and a lot of hair. But if there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s a hat that won’t. stay. on. Hmmmm. Time for some fiddling.
Some knitters indicated trouble with Shelter and breakage. I had experienced that with Shelter’s skinny sister, Loft, but I knew how to work around that, cables or no cables. (And no, I do not use a cable needle, just some nice slick Addi Turbo Rockets.)
Frankly, it worked up like a dream. I used the Magic Loop technique and experienced neither breakage nor laddering. The yarn performed perfectly.
Pattern: Bough Cabled Hat & Cowl Set by Leila Raabe
Yarn: 1 sk BrooklynTweed Shelter in Tent ~ about 4 yards left without making pompom
Modifications: C/O 91 stitches, then increased to 105. Also added one row to the end of the pattern, using k2tog or p2tog as needed to close the hat more, as I did not intend to add a pompom.
Unblocked: Ribbing unstretched measured 15 inches
Blocked: After soaking in lukewarm water and drying over an inverted vase (as you see here), ribbing relaxed to 19 inches unstretched.
Project marriage: 10 These were indeed made for each other.